Monday, November 30, 2009

Is this a sign?!

If you know me you've heard me talk about this deep fascination I have with the East Coast. More specifically this strong attraction towards the city of New York. There's this attachment I've developed with the city. This feeling where it's almost as if I've developed a crush on NY and shit, I haven't even been there. The only few things I know about the place is what my friends tell me or what the media portrays the city to be. But still even though I haven't been there, I got this mad crush on NY. This type type crush that you might've had in elementary school. You know that crush you have on someone you barely know. Someone who is completely unfamiliar territory for you. That kind of crush - the scary one. But the scary deep crush that at the same time triggered this decision in your head that although it's a scary risk to have feelings for someone you barely know, you don't give a fck. Maybe because for some damn reason you've already made it clear in your head, it's a risk worth taking? That crush just excites you, gives you butterflies and feeds you a strong presence so alive and inviting you can't ignore it?

Well that's how I feel about NY. I dream of it. I dream of big things in this big city.

After living in San Francisco for almost five years, I've realized I'm ready to try my hand at another city after I graduate. And it's not this media infused version of NY that I'm interested in. It's the challenging lifestyle I feel that intrigues me the most. While folks rather avoid those speed walking-never stopping-rude-thick skinned-opinionated-strong minded-blunt folks that live in NY that's what I want to encounter. I wanna be challenged. I wanna feel uncomfortable. I wanna be unfamiliar. I wanna get lost. I wanna be in a different atmosphere. For once I wanna be in a place that I've never been to, a place filled with strangers.

I want a change. A change of pace, a change of lifestyle, a change of faces. Even though it might only last a few days.

So... since I'm saying "peace out" to the city in a couple of weeks, I've been on a hunt for good deals for a mini vacation I wanna take on my own. Some would call this "soul searching," some would even call me naive but I still have this inkling to do it. Mainly though I think it's because for once I just wanna be out of the Bay. I wanna know how it feels to never hear the word: "hella" and know that I don't have family around to run to. I wanna try to be truly independent. So what better place to do that than in a city that I've always had a liking for but never had the guts to visit?

Well low and behold, today my friend lemme know the rates at Virgin American weren't so bad right now. And this is what I came across today...



BOOM. ROASTED.

Could this be it?! Should I book this shit? $218 round trip doesn't seem to shabby. Especially since ideally I would love to stay there for two weeks. Gahhh, it's such a leap. Such a spontaneous thing to do considering my funds... but really, when the opportunity comes we shouldn't let it pass right? (Bals, if you're reading this LET'S GET ON IT.)

Ahh, I'm dreamin' right now...

No comments: