Saturday, February 13, 2010

Current read: The Alchemist by. Paulo Coelho



Do I get slipped a late pass for this one? Cause I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't read this book yet.

When I look up on folks' favorite books on fb somehow most of my friends got this listed as #1. When I ask folks what I should read they'll tell me "anything from Paulo Coelho." And when I went to the library this book was still considered a "hot item" on the shelves. Seriously though? What's in this book that's got folks all hyped? I've even heard this author (more specifically this book) can supply stories powerful enough to change outlooks on life. Now I'd say if that were the case I had to jump on the bandwagon to see for myself if this book was worth all the talk.

So a couple of days ago I decided I needed to start a new read. And what better book to read than the one that's been mentioned to me several times? Obviously I had to try reading this myself. My curiosity was irritating me. I was beginning to wonder if this book could affect me the way other readers have been affected. Plus I needed a new book to carry around in my bag and according to my friend, Lauren this one is a perfect fit since I'm currently going through a transition/life hunt rut. Maybe this book could enlighten me a bit?

Right about now I'm only a few pages in since it had me at a slow start. For some reason I couldn't get through the first couple sentences. I had to re-read the beginning lines over and over again just to pay attention, haha. As is the case with some other books, my impatient ass had trouble getting interested. But after about 15 pages in and some character development, the story started to pick up and now I'm pretty hooked.

I'm hoping to finish this book by this weekend. Then we'll see if by this weekend this piece of literature can really have that special affect on me. I'm a skeptic till I finish it all.

No comments: